Saturday 30 January 2016

Rud 5: Online Networks

Facebook
I joined Facebook because it was there. I had never joined Bebo or MySpace but Facebook seemed to garner a lot of press. Over time my activity on it has changed. I keep in touch with friends who've emigrated but I rarely post on Facebook and I am a lurker supreme. 

I use some Facebook Groups:
  • ALA Think Tank: I like how a wide range of topics are posted and the group posts conferences that I wouldn't normally come across.
  • Makerspace & the Participatory Library: Since 3D printing appeared on NMC Horizon reports I've looked into what 3D printing is. This group is great as there are always reviews about which printer is good and where the faults are but also what tools are handy to have with which printer.

From the Makingithappen article I've joined:

I don't tend to use pages as most places that have pages are also on Twitter and I spend much more time time on Twitter.


Twitter
Some people keep their personal and professional accounts separate - I can't do that. My personal and professional lives bleed into each other like a Venn diagram but with greater overlap.  I've participated in scheduled chats but mind like a sieve I tend to forget when they're on. What I find Twitter really useful for is following conferences or courses virtually. The last one I followed was #UXMaynooth which was fascinating not least for seeing what people had in their bags and how they knolled!

I subscribe to a few lists: one for academic libraries, one for special collections and one for institutional special collections. These can be handy if I just want to see what's happening in this area alone. For example at the moment #ColorOurCollections is everywhere in Special Collections' tweets. Institutions have put together colouring books based on images in their Special Collections.


No comments:

Post a Comment