Sunday 31 January 2016

Rud 13: Professional Organisations

I love following professional organisations on Twitter. It's the handiest way for me to see what's happening in a particular area or in a particular country. For that reason I follow LIANZA even though the only time I visited New Zealand I wasn't working in libraries. I also like Historic Libraries Forum and their events are very good indeed. They have a mailing list, a newsletter and a seminar as well as one-off events.

I'm currently a member of LAI and the next thing on my LAI to-do list is Associateship. As I've been writing these blog posts I've been identifying gaps in my professional know-how and I hope that this will help when I come to write my portfolio. As part of my Certificate in Teaching & Learning I also have to write a portfolio so the two combined should give me a good foundation.

For a number of years I was a member of CILIP but last summer my membership lapsed. I didn't think I would notice not being a member but the thing is you do. I still get the general newsletter but I don't get any more information than that. Just before my membership lapsed CILIP were working on a Professional Development Portfolio tool which could be used for their version of Associateship, Chartership, as well as for other things. Do one portfolio first, and then the other, but rejoin CILIP in order to see if any of their tools can help on the LAI one.


I'm a member of the LAI Rare Books Group which as yet doesn't have a social media presence but we're working on it. David Meehan has recently changed up the website so the next step is a move onto social media. As a group we've recognised the benefits of having a strong social media presence - A&SL has set down the marker!

No comments:

Post a Comment