Sunday 31 January 2016

Rud 10: Live Streaming

I've used streaming for conferences and I've been conscious that streaming has occured at conferences where I've presented. I imagine sports players are in the same situation but if they watch themselves on playback every week maybe they're more desensitised to seeing and hearing themselves on screen.

I examined linking my YouTube Channel with Hangouts but I'm pretty wary of that much technology interacting. It's ironic I know given the name of this blog and considering how much I've already hooked up under Google. There are limits though.

I remember when war of the streaming apps was between Periscope and Meerkat. Somehow Periscope has had the longevity factor. I first downloaded the app on my iPad and the first and last broadcast was of my feet.

Some months back I saw, albeit on the computer, Kodaline's Gig from Spike Island in Cork Harbour. The concert was streamed via Periscope. Quite often I'll see links on Twitter to Periscope streams of people attending rugby matches. I don't know why that's interesting to me but it is.

Spike Island, Cork Harbour via Google maps


We haven't streamed many events from the library. It's a bit different to recording something for later which happens a bit. We could do a crowd-streaming event where multiple staff stream to Periscope. I don't know if there's an institutional preference for a streaming platform though.


No comments:

Post a Comment