Thursday 29 November 2012

The Shape of things to come or Thing 18: Jing / Screencapture /Podcasts

My experience with jing, screencapture or podcasts is limited to podcasts alone and that is merely listing to the Battlestar Galactica podcasts which incidentally were very good.

I can very much see the possibilities of Jing. The annotation feature reminds me of Skitch in Evernote. So funny how all the newer tools repeat themselves. I think that screen capture tools would be very useful for Special Collections for using the databases or for showing how to use a particular collection within the reading room. Students are becoming more familiar with databases but it's the physical collections now that stump them. I remember wading through the stacks to find what I want but stacks? Special Collections? Be careful how you wade as with compact shelving you may do damage to someone! But seriously, if the physical collection necessitates a student going back and forth between a book and the index to the microfilm collection then it can be tricky and I'd like to see what could be done to alleviate this.

As for podcasting in an essay for my library course for the collection management module I did describe how podcasting is used and why it's used. It can be very handy for students who are non-native English speakers as it allows them to access a guide to the material which they can start/stop as required and pay repeatedly as needed. The essay described its use for nursing students but equally this could be used for any cohort of students.

Unfortunately I have yet to try screencasting or podcasts but this could well be the shape of things to come and I look forward to trying them out.



No comments:

Post a Comment