Thursday 25 October 2012

Thing 12: Putting the Social Into Social Media or Becoming a Juggler

Recently I've stepped away from blogging and given twitter a proper go. Being an information professional really is a juggling act. On Fridays I used to read my blogs and work on the Things. Of late I've taken to reading my blogs and posting what I'm interested on Twitter (@walkerabroad). Unfortunately it's meant the Things were given a temporary heave-ho! Yes professionals are turning more and more towards social media as a way of advancing their professional knowledge and networks but how do you juggle all the networks??

There are how many people doing cpd23? Last time I checked it was 800 and yet I'm the only person in my library doing it. Is it about the juggling or lack of knowledge? This always strikes me as interesting considering the profession I'm in. I've shared my blogs with others and it's not that scary.

On Facebook I'm part of the ALA Librarians group but there I'm definitely a lurker. On Twitter I took the crazy step of unprotecting my tweets and you know what? The spammers didn't come calling nearly as much as they used to. Now my tweets are flying to various parts of America and the UK. I don't tweet to nearly as many people as I should but I am trying. How much time do people spend on twitter anyway? Are they permanently shackled to it?

Since starting in the library I've worked in four distinct areas and I'm aiming to up that count. I like to see different areas of the library, this is back to Star Trek from a few posts ago, and see the library as an organism on the whole rather than each area being separate. I should really just apply this philosophy to tweeting and the ALAers. It's just another way of getting to know people.

No comments:

Post a Comment