Wednesday 17 October 2012

Thing 11: Mentoring: Modern Family Meets Star Trek



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series
I've had mentors but mostly unofficial ones. One in particular has been extremely helpful over the last 6 years always pushing me, but in a nice way, to try new things and explore different projects. It's a bit like Star Trek. Unfortunately for me she's recently moved to a different section at work so I don't get to talk to her as much and she's now doing user education sessions also so we don't coincide either at break time. I think it's going to end up as a 'play date.'  Is she going to be the new Jasper from Modern Family?

The library I'm in did a pilot scheme for mentoring a few years ago. I was a pilot mentee and I used the opportunity to find out more about different kinds of approaches for acquiring data for my disseration (which is going swimmingly, thank you for asking!).  So I did find out about qualitative and quantitative methodologies which proved handy for when I actually did need to know about them. The pilot scheme never expanded into something more permanent which is a pity.

I know mentoring is a key part of CILIP Chartership so as that is one of my next projects (along with learning Latin, learning how to code or at least the basics, learning... oh it's an endless list!) I figure I'll experience it in a new and different way and I'm back to Star Trek again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment