Wednesday 9 May 2012

Thing 1: Blogs & Blogging

This is my first post for Things: Bright & Shiny. I've started doing this blog for 23 Things for Professional Development.

At the present I'm working on a dissertation as part of an MSc in ILs so with luck this will aid that. The area I'm writing on is emerging technologies (hence the bright and shiny things), how and when they're implemented and what the implications thereof are.

Prior to working in a library I was teaching in secondary schools and doing TEFL. The increasing presence of instruction in a librarian's workload attracted me to library work. I've worked in an academic library now for nearly 6 years. Four years ago I started doing the MSc through distance learning with Aberystwyth and it's taken longer than expected to get this far. Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way.

I've worked in Customer Services full-time and part-time. Just over two years ago I started working part-time in Special Collections and part-time in Customer Services. Then I had one week in Inter-Library Loans and currently I work part-time in Customer Services and part-time in the Health Sciences branch library.

It's frustrating at the present that there aren't as many posts at professional level and there's an embargo on recruitment in the public sector in Ireland.  I'm hoping that by expanding my skillset and doing external projects such as What's the Score with the Bodleian that I'll be more future ready than I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment