Wednesday 21 September 2016

Digital Knowledge: Thing 1

Hmm! I've just read Charlie Farley's blog and it says "I'm a joiner, a participant, a signer-up of 'things', and particularly online learning." It's good to know I'm not alone! Last year I did an online cert for teaching & learning in higher education. This year I've applied for two modules on rare books and manuscripts. I may yet apply for another module for January 2017 on learning Latin... I'm not 100% sure on that. While the applications for rare books & manuscripts are being processed I thought that it's been a while since I did a 23 Things (see the wonderful Rudai 23 completed in January 2016); maybe it's time to go again!

Thing 1: Introduction
I've checked out the Things and I'm really looking forward to Block 3. I did do Augmented Reality very quickly last January so I'd like to spend some more time on that. I also did OneNote last year wit the 12 Apps of Christmas but again some more time with it would be good. It's good to see two things on digital privacy: digital footprint and digital security. I attended Alison Macrina's keynote earlier this year at the A&SL conference and since then I've been more aware of some of the issues. In the wake of the keynote I tried San Jose's Public Library Virtual Privacy Toolkit so again it'll be interesting to see how these two things work.

I'm not part of the University of Edinburgh but I remember when we started up The River-side for Special Collections, Archives and the Institutional Repository in UCC Library and part of the permission process was reading the guidelines and ensuring that we were doing as we ought to be doing. Indeed the social media guidelines now cover:
  • Apps
  • Branding
  • Governance
  • iTunes
  • Language
  • Metadata
  • Social Media Policy
  • Social Media Official Accounts
  • Social Media Other Accounts
  • Social Media Notice & Takedown
  • Website Style Guide
  • Website Procedure
And are known as Digital Estate Guidelines which is pretty much all encompassing.  These I explained to a new staff member recently and it was refreshing to know that although I had read them some time ago I will still practicing what I needed to preach, well not so much with the preaching really!

No comments:

Post a Comment