Monday 30 July 2012

Thing 5: Reflective Practice

Am I becoming more aware of the means and methods of current awareness? Is this almost too meta a query? Certainly because I follow so many blogs I know about more information than say the person sitting next to me which depending on where I'm sitting could be one person or another. That said, that person will most definitely know more about other things than I would so knowledge about current awareness technologies might not be useful if you want to go tango dancing or if you want to fix a motorbike. Sure I could look it up or I could just ask someone. Sometimes old school methods work!

How do I become a reflective practitioner? Without a doubt one of the main difficulties is time, not just time to write about things but time to think about things. The other big difficulty is 'how to switch off.' Am I too connected? This is why when I go on holidays I like to not check in on the off chance that I'm missing something. Sure I'll check email and facebook but not as often as when I'm not on holidays. I need to find myself in the right place for thinking and fortunately holidays lend themselves very well to this: the train. On a plane there are noisy children and noisier adults but on the train if you're lucky you can get the silent carriage and all the peace in the world to let your mind drift and ponder. Sadly I just don't get the opportunity to go on trains that often. Recently I heard about a travel writer who instead of stressing about getting to the airport 90 minutes before a flight gets there now three hours before the flight and concentrates on getting the work done without being distracted by other things.

So note to self: To reflect more you must travel more but only by train and planes!

No comments:

Post a Comment